September 5, 2014 by Bernadette ~ The Bumbling Bookworm
Today’s book I’ve chosen is The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares, a book I really enjoyed but haven’t read in a VERY long time.
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
Publisher/Year: Delacorte Press, 2001
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Friendships
Available Formats: Hardcover, Paperback, eBook, Audiobook
Carmen got the jeans at a thrift shop. They didn’t look all that great: they were worn, dirty, and speckled with bleach. On the night before she and her friends part for the summer, Carmen decides to toss them. But Tibby says they’re great. She’d love to have them. Lena and Bridget also think they’re fabulous. Lena decides that they should all try them on. Whoever they fit best will get them. Nobody knows why, but the pants fit everyone perfectly. Even Carmen (who never thinks she looks good in anything) thinks she looks good in the pants. Over a few bags of cheese puffs, they decide to form a sisterhood and take the vow of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants… The next morning, they say good-bye. And then the journey of the pants — and the most memorable summer of their lives — begins.
FOUR VERY DIFFERENT FRIENDS. ONE PAIR OF MAGICAL PANTS. AND A SUMMER APART …
The Rules of the Traveling Pants:
We, the Sisterhood, hereby instate the following rules to govern the use of the Traveling Pants:
- You must never wash the Pants.
- You must never double-cuff the Pants. It’s tacky. There will never be a time when this will not be tacky.
- You must never say the word “phat” while wearing the Pants. You must also never think “I am fat” while wearing the Pants.
- You must never let a boy take off the Pants (although you may take them off yourself in his presence).
- You must not pick your nose while wearing the Pants. You may, however, scratch casually your nostril while really kind of picking.
- Upon our reunion, you must follow the proper procedures for documenting your time in the Pants.
- You must write to your Sisters throughout the summer, no matter how much fun you are having without them.
- You must pass the Pants along to your Sister according to the specifications set down by the Sisterhood. Failures to comply will result in a sever spanking upon our reunion.
- You must not wear the Pants with a tucked-in shirt and belt. See rule #2.
- Remember: Pants = love. Love your pals. Love yourself.