January 26, 2014 by Bernadette ~ The Bumbling Bookworm
Super Six Sunday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by the lovely ladies at Bewitched Bookworms 🙂
This topic today gets right to the heart of reading for me, as I often wish that I live in the worlds I escape to between the pages of a book. That being said, I still had difficulty coming up with six books that I wished I live in but I made it eventually! Here they are:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: Any world where a life-saving cancer miracle drug like Phalanxifor exists is a-ok to me! This miracle drug (which, FYI! does not exist for anyone wondering!) shrinks tumours and keeps them that way for as long as a person continues to take it, effectively prolonging Hazel’s life. Methinks that scientists need to get on this ASAP, image the heartache it would save! That is, of course, if you’re one of the 30 percent that this miracle drug works on; for the other 70 percent nothing changes… Of course, that’s the beauty of books, allowing authors to dream and create whatever they want, even if it hasn’t been invented yet.
Malory Towers Series by Enid Blyton: When I was a little girl, I loved Enid Blyton’s books – The Faraway Tree, The Famous Five, The Secret Seven, The Naughtiest Girl, etc – but none as much as the Malory Towers series. This book made boarding school sound like so much fun, I had no idea at the time how old the books were and how long ago they were set! It got to the point where I was researching boarding schools at the library for me to go to, not that my parents ever had any intention of sending me away 🙂 I later had a boarding experience in my university years and it was nothing like I thought it would be, probably due to these books, but for a long time during my childhood these books were the pinnacle of books I wish I lived in.
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick: This book quickly became a favourite when I read it last year, largely due to the Garrett family. Who wouldn’t want to live in this book, just so you could meet Jase Garrett and his motley crew, especially four year old George! He’s so cute, he makes me want to smoosh his face! But of course, I cannot do that because I don’t live in this book… And Patsy, with her random words! I reckon that they might just be the most adorable children ever written, and it’s very exciting that we will eventually be getting another glimpse of this awesome family in The Boy Most Likely To, even if 2015 is much too far away for my liking!
Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: I know that probably shouldn’t want to live in this world, given the whole Voldemort issue, but there’s so much to love about this series that made me want to be a part of it. I want to be friends with Harry, Ron & Hermione, I want to go down Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, and let’s not forget about HOGWARTS! I want to know Dumbledore, Sirius, Lupin, Gred & Forge, Tonks, Hagrid, and pretty much everyone else in these books! HOWEVER, just because I want to live in these books does not mean that I want to trade places with Harry Potter! But really, who wouldn’t want to live in a world where they persist in the face of adversity to fight for what they know is right – sounds pretty awesome to me.
Anne of Green Gables Series by L.M. Montgomery: Another favourite from my childhood, and even when I read the books today they remain unchanged for me. Avonlea reminds me of the town I grew up in, tiny and full of characters, which is probably part of why I identify with these books so much! The era that it’s set in is a favourite of mine, and I’ve always loved Anne and Gilbert. I do prefer the storylines in the books to those in the television movies. That being said, those movies also made me love the books even more, bringing the beloved characters to life before my eyes and making me want to be a part of it even more.
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: It’s no secret that I love this book (see my review here) and the characters in it. You already know from above how much I loved the boarding school setting when I was younger, and it appears that nothing’s changed as I’ve gotten older! Anna and Étienne are amazing, their friends in Paris are awesome and Seany is adorable. I would love to live in a book where I could get to know these characters and hang out in Paris all the time, even if Anna’s father and her so-called ‘friends’ from back home (Toph and Bridgette) are complete a-holes. Definitely a book I wish I lived in…
There you have it! What books do you wish you lived in?